It is one of the many historic buildings found in Bagamoyo and used to be an old state house that was built by the Germans at the end of the 19th century, with the sole purpose of being a residence for its leaders in the area. It was only used by them for a few years before their capital was moved to then Mzizima or currently known as Dar es Salaam, due to the shallow water depth of the Bagamoyo port.
The kaole ruin is a site that holds the remains of the first settlement of the Arab foreigners in Bagamoyo as well as an archaeological remains excavation site. Some of the structures at the site include houses, mosques, water wells, and graves of the foreigners that died there. Kaole was originally settled in the 8th century as a trading town. It is a small town and archaeological site in Tanzania, located southern eastern of Bagamoyo town on the shores of the Indian Ocean. In the area, there are old stone ruins dating to a period between the 13th century and the 16th century and consist of two mosques and 30 tombs
A prison where slaves were kept before herded through underground tunnels to waiting dhows at the Harbor, where their journey unknown world began.
The original Holy Ghost Church was built in 1872, is reportedly to be the oldest church on the mainland of East Africa as a sister’s house and part of the Holy Ghost Mission, one of the first Christian missionaries in East Africa. In 1874, David Livingstone was interred for a night at the Holy Ghost Mission. The Livingstone Tower, a part of the original church, is named in his honor.
The Sisters’ House, built in 1876, was converted into the Roman Catholic Mission Museum and has many sentimentally touching exhibits of photographs of slaves tied together with chains to their necks, exhibits of the history of Missionary work and conversion to Christianity, books and booklets on the prehistory of Bagamoyo, Indian and Arab door frames, and shackles, chains and whips used during the slave trade, and much local woodcraft.